Appetizer, Dip, Snack, Gluten-Free, Mediterranean-Inspired, Middle Eastern-Inspired, Vegan
- 1 medium eggplant*
- Sea salt
- Olive oil (for roasting)
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice (1 medium lemon yields ~3 Tbsp juice)
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, parsley, or basil (optional // chopped)
- Optional-1 large clove garlic (grated or finely minced)
- Preheat oven to high broil
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds and sprinkle with sea salt and place in a
colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then
pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 5-
10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown.
Remove from pan, stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
BARBECUE or STOVE BURNER
- add 2 eggplants directly in the burning coal, turn until all sides are roasted.
- Open the eggplants in half and take out the seeds, adding only the pulp in the next step of
the recipe. You can also do the same at the stove burner.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant (a little is OK) and add flesh to a food processor. It
should be soft and tender and the skin should come off easy
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Add herbs last and pulse
to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a bit more tahini and another
pinch of salt.
- Serve with pita and/or pita chips or veggies (for gluten-free friendly option). Will keep covered
in the fridge for several days.
Posted by: Fernanda / Marketing; Sales / São Paulo, Brazil