A hearty dish that tastes even better as the flavors permeate in the following days.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- I large clove of garlic minced or chopped finely
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 or 4 tomatoes skinned and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Black pepper
- Teaspoon of cinnamon
- A can of red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 100 g grated parmesan
White or Bechamel Sauce
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 400 ml milk
- 1 egg
- Slice the eggplant into thin rounds. Thinly coat a pan with olive oil. Sauté both sides until crispy. Dry them on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Bean Mixture: Sauté the onion and garlic in a saucepan until they are soft and transparent. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, cinnamon, and black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the red kidney beans. Mash the beans. Add sprinkle of salt and pepper. Leave it to simmer gently, while you start the white sauce.
- White Sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or so. Add a little milk and whisk to remove any lumps. If too thin, simmer to reduce down a little and if too thick, add more milk. Season with a little salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Let the sauce simmer very gently for ten minutes or so. Remove the sauce from heat and let it cool a slightly. Whisk in an egg.
- Grease a shallow casserole dish and arrange half the eggplant slices on the bottom. Spread half the bean mixture over the eggplant, then half the white sauce. Repeat the eggplant, bean mixture, white sauce layers until all gone. Sprinkle cheese all over the top and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
Posted By: Lan / Founder & CEO / Tampa, FL USA *Original recipe by Rose Elliot.