Super impressive but very easy and nutritious.
- 2 pounds of spinach
- 2 Onions
- Feta cheese
- Pine nuts
- Olive oil
- 1 egg
- Philo pastry sheets
- Lemon juice
- Philo sheets bought frozen should be thawed overnight in the refrigerator, and allowed to be tempered to room temperature for 2 hours before cooking.
- In a pan, toast a handful of pine nuts until golden.
- In another pan, cook your spinach until very wilted. Squeeze out all the liquid.
- Chop your onions and sautée with olive oil, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- Sautée until golden, and add your garlic.
- Add the spinach to the onions. Stir well. Add pine nuts. Take off the heat.
- Crumble the feta cheese and add nutmeg, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and honey.
- Add 1 egg to moisten the mixture.
- Take the entire philo pastry stack and cut it into 3 equal vertical strips. (Place stack like you would paper, and slice down)
- You should now have many strips. Using two sheets of strips at a time, brush with melted butter generously.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add 2 teaspoons of your spinach mixture on the bottom. With the bottom right corner, fold the corner so that the bottom of the sheet touches the side: it should form a little triangle. Fold again onto itself. The folding will become natural and you should keep folding into triangles until the strip is done. If you have a little excess when you finish, use butter to adhere to tail to the rest of the triangle.
- Repeat until you have finished mixture.
- Brush the triangles with butter and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and olive oil.
Note: These freeze very well. Can be made in advance.
Posted by: Mia / Content / New York, USA