This hearty lentil stew recipe perfect for winter nights. It is very simple to prepare and extremely delicious.
- 200 grams lentils (I usually precook them for 20 minutes but it is probably not necessary)
- 1/2 a red or green pepper
- 1 onion
- Some celery (optional)
- 3 carrots, one finely chopped, two chopped in cubes
- 3 potatoes in small cubes
Salt, pepper, garlic if you like, whatever spice you use for heat – I like crushed red pepper (aji triturado in Argentina) or tabasco sauce
A vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 can of tomatoes, chopped
Quite a lot of water
- Pancetta or Chorizo
- Finely chop the onion, the celery, the pepper and one of the carrots. Sauté these for 5 to 10 minute in some olive oil.
- Add the lentils, either already cooked or still dry.
- Add crushed red pepper and the Pancetta or chorizo. Give them a little fry and add some water. Then, add the other vegetables, the can of tomatoes, more water, and the bouillon cube and.
Make sure there is plenty of water covering all the vegetables.
- Let the stew cook until all the vegetables are soft. I let mine cook for at least an hour, often more. And it is definitely a stew and not a soup – I make it very thick and hearty.
- Add salt, pepper, other spices if you like, and make sure it tastes to your lighting. Enjoy with fresh bread!
Posted by: Taina / Sales / Buenos Aires, Argentina.